How To Reset Garmin Watch In Just A Few Simple Steps
Garmin watches are highly popular mainly due to how well they track your activity data. Today, various models of these watches offer many elite functionalities to their users. However, sometimes, you may face problems in the working of these wearables. In such an instance, knowing how to reset Garmin watch will prove immensely useful. A reset has the potential to fix various issues, such as a glitchy GPS signal. Moreover, it doesn’t cause any loss to your training data. There are different kinds of resets you can do. In this article, you’ll find detailed explanations for resetting your Garmin watch in different ways.
Read Also – How To Update Garmin Golf Watch
When Should You Reset Garmin Watch?
You can reset your watch whenever it’s not working as intended. However, there are certain instances where resetting can prove particularly helpful. They include the following scenarios.
- You need to restore your Garmin watch to its default factory settings.
- Your Garmin watch isn’t getting a satellite signal.
- Your watch isn’t operating as it usually does.
Read Also – Why Is Garmin Watch Not Syncing
How to Reset Garmin Watch?
You can reset in different ways depending on if you want your training data to remain or not afterward. All these are listed and comprehensively described below.
1. Perform a Reset Holding the Back/Lap
Performing this kind of reset is extremely simple. Before remember to keep your watch outdoors under a clear sky for around 20 minutes after doing the reset.
- Power off your watch.
- Now, press ‘Back/Lap’ and hold it simultaneously.
- Now, turn off the Garmin watch. Do not release ‘Back/Lap’ while you power it.
- After you see the ‘Clear user data?’ message, release ‘Back/Lap.’
- Choose ‘Yes.’
2. Do an Unprompted or Secondary Reset
You can also undertake an unprompted reset if the first method doesn’t work out. Similar to the above method, you must power off your watch when attempting to reset it.
- Hold and press the buttons ‘Back’, ‘Start’, and ‘Down.’
- Now, switch on your watch. Don’t release any of the buttons.
- When you listen to the first beep, let go of the ‘Start’ button.
- Release the rest of the buttons after hearing the second beep.
- Your watch has been successfully reset.
3. Master Reset your Garmin Watch
This option is for those users who do not wish to use their Garmin watch for themselves again. It’s because a master or hard reset clears away every bit of your data and activity history. You certainly would not want that if you want to keep using the watch. There are different ways to carry out this process in different models of the watch. Here we have explained the methods to reset Garmin Forerunner, Fenix, Vivoactive, and Instinct watches.
Steps to reset Garmin Forerunner, Fenix, Vivoactive, and Instinct watches
- Head to the ‘Settings’ of your watch. From here, choose ‘System’ followed by ‘Reset.’
- From here, choose the option ‘Restore Defaults.’
- Depending on your watch’s model, you may see this command as ‘Reset Settings’ or ‘Delete data.’
- After you tap this option, you’ll view a message that says, ‘This restores default settings and clears all data…’
- If you desire to go ahead with resetting your device with a default setting, tap ‘Yes.’
Steps to Reset Garmin Vivomove Touchscreen Watch
Use these pointers to know how to reset a Garmin watch belonging to this model.
- Bring up the menu by pressing the touchscreen and holding it.
- Now choose ‘Settings.’
- Also, select the spanner icon followed by selecting ‘Restore defaults.’
4. Master reset Garmin GPS watch
Master resetting the Garmin GPS watch will disappear your activity history, routes, courses, and data. So, before doing it, back up these kinds of data. The GPS watch will relearn the data post the reset process.
- Turn off your watch.
- Now, find the ‘Back/Lap’ button on it.
- Press and hold it.
- Switch on the watch but don’t release ‘Back/Lap.’
- When you notice the ‘Clear user data?’ message appearing, select ‘Yes.’
- Now, if your watch goes to the setup wizard, it means the reset is successful.
- But if you don’t find the setup wizard showing up, repeat the steps.
- If still, you don’t find the needed result, press the ‘Back start’ and ‘Down’ buttons after turning off your watch.
- Now, power on the wearable.
- Release the ‘Start’ button after hearing the first beep sound.
- Release the other buttons after hearing the second beep sound.
5. Steps to Reboot Garmin Venu
Garmin Venu is another popular watch model. If you desire to reset it, follow along with these points.
- Press and hold the button at the top of your Garmin Venu.
- Next, hit the ‘Power’ button. It is in the middle part of the watch.
- Now, swipe up to turn off the watch.
- Just hold back for a second. After that, press the top button. While you press it, hold it simultaneously. It will power it up.
- Although it’ll take a few seconds, you’ll find your watch switching on.
Troubleshoot a Frozen and Unresponsive Garmin Watch
You can undertake various troubleshooting steps when your watch is freezing or turns unresponsive. Follow this series of instructions.
- Hold and press the button to power on your watch. Do it till it powers off.
- This process will consume 20 seconds.
- Leave your watch as it is for a minute.
- After that, hit the power button to turn on the watch.
- If you’re not sure of the power button’s location, refer to the owner’s manual.
- If your watch doesn’t have a power button, plug it into a power source.
- Use a USB charging cable for about a minute, and then unplug.
- It will reboot your device.
What to do If your Garmin Watch Does not Power on
You’ll see a low battery symbol if your Garmin watch doesn’t power on. Here are some things to try in this case.
- Hold the power button and simultaneously press it on your watch for around 20 seconds.
- Release this button when you see the watch display beginning to come on.
- Plug your Garmin watch into a source of power.
- Now keep holding the power button till your device turns on.
- This step will take you around 20 seconds.
Read Also – Why Do We Need Garmin Sleep Tracking
Hopefully, you now know how to reset Garmin watch properly and get rid of common issues. Use the instructions to reset that apply to your watch model. You can also use the tips in this post to troubleshoot an unresponsive Garmin watch. Contact Gramin technical support experts if you are doubtful about any specific aspect of rebooting and resetting your Garmin wearable.